Learning Experience Designer (AD08)
Centre for Learning, Teaching and Development (CLTD)
Wits is seeking to appoint a Learning Experience Designer to its Centre for Learning, Teaching, and Development (CLTD) unit. The position is permanent, and is based in Johannesburg, Gauteng.
The Learning Experience Designer will curriculate, design and develop evidence-based, inclusive online and/or blended learning programmes, teach on professional learning programmes, conduct workshops on online and/or blended learning experience design, and participate in collaborative project work.
The position will suit a self-motivated individual, skilled in the facilitation of learning interactions. (S)he should have a passion for learning experience design aimed at supporting students’ use of appropriate educational technologies for learning, and the implementation of innovations to promote active and collaborative learning. The successful candidate will be conversant with, and actively keep abreast of developments in a wide range of educational technologies, learning design theories and learning design methodologies. The candidate should be comfortable communicating with academics and administrators as (s)he will work across a number of institutional settings and will collaborate with various stakeholder groups and communities of practice.
The key performance areas for this position are:
collaborate with academic staff to design and develop evidence-based, inclusive online and/or blended learning programmes within the relevant frameworks and approaches adopted for specific contexts;
as part of multi-disciplinary teams, assist in the curriculation, design and development of academic professional learning programmes;
teach in academic professional learning programmes on designing and developing online and/or blended learning programmes;
engage in the scholarship in learning and teaching by:
o staying abreast of current research on educational technologies, learning design theories and learning design methodologies for the design and development of and teaching in online and/or blended learning programmes
o participating in sector-wide academic professional learning networks and activities;
play an active role as academic citizen of Wits and of the broader Higher Education community; and
liaise with and market CLTD service offering to internal stakeholder communities.
· An Honours degree (or equivalent) in the field of curriculum development (e.g. educational technology, instructional design, computer-integrated education) or other relevant discipline is required for this position.
· A minimum of 3 years of Higher Education working experience including initiatives for the design, development, teaching, and coordination of online and/or blended learning programmes in a complex university environment.
· Excellent organisational skills and the ability to work independently and in teams.
· Willingness to engage in continuing professional and personal learning;
· Excellent teaching, mentoring, coaching, inter-personal, assessment and communication skills;
· Good report writing and research skills;
· High level of computer literacy and proficiency in software such as the Office365 suite of programmes; and
· Extensive experience with Learning Management Systems such as Sakai and/or Canvas.
Preference will be given to qualifying candidates with:
· a Masters degree in the field of curriculum development, educational technology, instructional design, computer-integrated education, or a related field.
· specialised skills in
o managing and formally evaluating programme development projects or initiatives.
o production of learning objects and educational media using equipment and software such as:
§ video recording, photography, and/or editing equipment and software
§ HTML authoring software
§ graphic design software
§ other standard multimedia and web development tools.
For more information on this position, please contact:
· Dr Gerrit Wissing: Gerrit.Wissing@wits.ac.za
How To Apply
Closing Date: 14 January 2021
To apply, please submit a covering letter explicitly addressing your suitability with respect to the key responsibilities of the position together with a detailed Curriculum Vitae with names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail addresses of 3 referees. Please also attach certified copies of degrees/diplomas.
External applicants are invited to apply, by registering their profile on the Wits i-recruitment platform located at https://irec.wits.ac.za and submitting their application. Internal employees are invited to apply directly on Oracle by following the path: iWits /Self Service application/“Apply for a job”
The University is committed to employment equity. Preference may be given to appointable applicants from the underrepresented designated groups in terms of the relevant employment equity plans and policies of the University. The University retains the right to verify all information provided by candidates.
Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise.